Mission and Vision
The mission of the Rabbi Leon Wind Religious School of Beth Sholom B’nai Israel is:
- To foster a strong Jewish identity through an understanding and appreciation of the heritage, history, cultures, languages, textual traditions, and music of the Jewish people.
- To provide each student with the skills to participate in rituals and religious services at home and in the synagogue.
- To prepare students to lead religious services and lay the groundwork for future text study in its original language through teaching basic Hebrew decoding and vocabulary.
- To make Jewish values and traditions an integral part of each student’s life, and to foster a lifetime commitment to Jewish learning and the practices of our tradition.
- To cultivate a love of and commitment to the Jewish people and to the culture and land of Israel.
- To build relationships among students and create a strong community of Jewish peers.
- To involve the whole family in the life of the synagogue so that students will experience Jewish learning as an ongoing, lifelong endeavor.
We envision the Rabbi Leon Wind Religious School of Beth Sholom B’nai Israel as a place that:
- Provides a warm, loving, safe environment where students can feel accepted and encouraged to be themselves.
- Fosters exploration and honors students’ questions and curiosity.
- Encourages students to discover their strengths and to open their minds to the possibilities of Judaism in their life.
- Respects students’ opinions, identities, and autonomy.
- Values egalitarianism and pluralism.
- Fully includes students with disabilities, interfaith families, families of color, and people of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
- Centers methods of teaching that are student-centered, experiential, and content-driven.
(Adopted November 2017)